The sprouts were being really slow to germinate and we had to move them into the sun after a few days to try and speed them up. In the end we decided they must be ok so we ate some of them today. I think because they have been going so long they were a bit sour tasting raw in a sandwich. But I am sure they are still healthy and it’s trial and error! We’ll have another go soon and hopefully get things going with them.
Emptied the water out this morning again. There is some movement with the sprouts; they have started to set off shoots. Rinsed and put them back on the shelf.
I was also in the mood for baking some bread so I took the last dough I had put in the freezer out and made a little loaf of white seeded. I am going to have to do a long post about bread soon because learning how to bake real bread is one of the best things I hav gotten out of moving to China so far!
I followed the instructions this morning. The seeds look the same. I drained the water out of the jar and then rinsed them and left them on the counter for the day. The water is not clear any more. I guess this water is probably quite nutritious so I fed it to the vegetables. I am excited to see when something happened to the seeds!
I have a new experiment on the go now. I read some stuff about sprouting seeds and I have decided to have a go at sprouting some myself. I bought this kit from a company called Living Food of St. Ives in Devon, England. I got a sprouting jar, a big bag of mixed seeds and a smaller bag of aduki beans, plus all the info I should need to get this to work!
It says one tablespoonful should be enough for a family helping, so I put one in the jar. It then says to fill the jar with water but I think that seems excessive. I am not sure if one table spoon is the most you can fit in at a time or if it is just a guide. So I went for one tablespoon of seeds and I quarter filled the jar with water from the dispenser (no tap water on food). Ill see how they go. They are now soaking overnight.